Monday, April 29, 2013

Orange Scones

These are the BEST scones you will ever eat.

I did my very first post on scones and they were not nearly as delicious. I'll have to try them again with these proportions to see if they come out better. These orange scones are a light, sweet biscuit and would be perfect to serve your mother for breakfast on Mother's Day.

Orange Scones

  • 1 3/4 cups flour
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • zest of 1 orange
  • pinch of salt
  • 5 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
  • 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (3 medium oranges)
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 1 egg
  • 1 Tbsp milk

Orange Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbsp orange juice (I used OJ from the fridge)

In a large mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, sugar, orange zest, and salt. Pour 75% of this into your *food processor. Add in the butter chunks and pulse a few times until it's halfway combined. DON'T OVERMIX. Add in the sour cream and fresh orange juice. Pulse a couple more times but don't OVERMIX. It should be lumpy. Put the other 25% of the flour mixture on the counter and turn out the scone dough onto that. Add some of the flour on the counter to the dough with your hands and pat it down into a flat disc. It's going to seem like you're wasting a lot of dry mix. Rip off chunks of dough in the size that you would your scones to be--they rise a lot in the oven (we used four teaspoons of baking powder!) Place the mounds onto your prepared baking sheet. I used a silpat.

Whisk together the egg and milk and brush over the top of the scones. Set oven to 400 degrees and let scones rest for 10 minutes before baking.

Bake for 12 minutes or until the tops are lightly browned. Cool until room temperature before glazing.

*You can use a pastry cutter or a fork if you don't have a food processor.
In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and orange juice until smooth. You want the glaze to be somewhat thick so it's very white in color and doesn't run off the scone.

I even have dry mix all over the pan. It's ok because they were sooooo good.

To make your scone more exciting, serve it on china.

I am going to make these again for my mom on Mother's Day. I hope she likes them!


Source: Pastry Affair


  1. These scones do look amazing! I love orange in sweet things! I wish had one with some coffee:)

  2. I love scones!! Never had orange, but that sounds fantastic!!!

  3. Orange scones from Panera are one of my favorite treats. These look awesome Shiloh!!

  4. Orange scones with a cup of tea sounds wonderful! These sound wonderful. :) I agree that most things taste even better when served on pretty plates.:)